This recipe is light on calories and a delight to my vegan friends. Not vegan? You can toss in a little feta cheese if you like. That’s always good. Instead of mint, which is more traditional, I love using cilantro in this along with the parsley.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large English cucumber, finely diced (1/4 inch)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2/3 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint (or cilantro)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Cook quinoa to package directions, drain and let cool (spread on a large, rimmed baking sheet).
2. Whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill, reserving remaining dressing and other ingredients until serving time.
4. Just before serving, add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.
5. Options: feta cheese, black olives or kalamata olives.